Tuesday, March 2, 2010

visiting the north east

I had come to a minor obstacle in my plans to visit Manipur. As far as I can tell there is a ban on foreigners visiting Manipur that's what a restricted access area means. You can apply for a ten day Permitted Access Permit you specify point of entry and exit and agree to visit only set areas. What used to happen was there were tours organized by tourist agencies and they got the permits for you. At present nobody is running tours to Manipur it would seem.

So looking at the legislation, technically you only have to travel in groups of four with a travel agent in open areas. If I agree to stay in my hotel room for the ten days and then visit her when accompanied by the SI of the JN Gaol then presumably I don't need to be accompanied by three other foreigners. I'd love to go in April but it takes a month for them to approve the visit so maybe May then. I also apply to the two departments to visit her. And if I get to see her that's good and if not I got close if only an hotel in Imphal.

There is a slight problem if we did marry. I would still not be allowed to stay more than ten days and then only with the same permit. I guess if the law isn't changed we could meet for ten days in Manipur whenever I got the approval and she of course would be free to travel to neighbouring countries and the rest of India where the restrictions don't apply. Apparently gaining OCI wouldn't make a difference for the purposes of restricted areas within India overseas citizenship of india isn't citizenship you are still a foreigner. It's more of a pay once and for all multiple visa for India.

Ah it's all working out I had been asking travel agents what the cost would be for a four person trip to manipur but just going directly to the FRRO or whatever they call themselves once I have my student visa well that seems a more direct option.

No comments:

Post a Comment