Wednesday, April 14, 2010

connections and general gripes

Yeah I am having an easy time of it. That bronchial infection that had been giving me a hacking cough with green coloured phlegm well that went pdq in the nights after arriving. Don't sleep all that well but the heat and light is what I thrive on. So yeah one of the irritating dudes on the MA 1st year course strides up as I am trying to surf about a course in Lebanon asking me why I am not attending classes. Not a good way to start with me. But there you go I tried to explain that his attentions were not appreciated. I am not sure why I bothered to explain to the young lad, now they call him reverend brother which means he isn't a priest yet but still wants respect, the classes are in Malayalam. There are no classes in English save the ones I arrange. Then he helpfully suggests but I could stand at the back of the class and ask for translations from time to time. I replied I could but I'm not going to and went on to explain how he really wasn't helping me, I might have told him to bugger off I don't think I am as saatvig and calm as I thunk. He came back later with a real priest on a bogus request which I couldn't help with which was most gratifying.

The course in the Lebanon which I briefly considered as it had taken so long to download the five page pdf costs 2k dollars USD. For three weeks and they give you a certificate if you pass the exam. For 2kdollars I'd want a certificate in advance with gold ribbons and a cherry on top. Bloody Lebanese Syriac Scholar wideboys. It was one of the messages on the Hugoye list which is a peer reviewed syriac yahoo list for genuine academics not newbies who just want to learn stuff. I was so pleased they let me join being as I am a newbie who just wants to learn stuff. There was an interesting discussion on the diatesseron and St Ephrem's analysis of it (should Jesus pay the Temple Tax) all about foreigners and children and kings and priests and being taught by the sea, eastern theology is like french philosophy poetry smoke and pretty symbols no real logic or rational argument. Though the last line from one poster was to the effect that well obviously there is a secret tradition that Peter wasn't Jewish.

I am sorry that's bollocks but not my place to say. It was the last post I'll just wait for someone else to say it's bollocks. That and this new firefox sends everything to DNS and distrusts every certificate. I think I may switch to I dunno Safari or Chrome perhaps. Yep just to avoid the stupid messages though it may have something to do with the dodgey connections here.

So yeah I am more than happy working through the gospel of Matthew typing up stuff here waiting for my trulove's next letter promised via a human rights NGO (commonwealth) worker in Delhi I mustn't tell people to bugger off even when they are being nosey gits and need to mind their own bi'ness. They might steal her letter. These are Caflick priest types no telling what they might end up doing. But apart from that weather suits. Get bitten a bit but it's only blood and a possible skin condition better than the bronchial infection. And screw it I'll start something serious next week. For the next few days read through Matthew on my own. Start some drills learning vocab and concentrate on nouns and plurals for now. Ah I know what I am doing. Just have to learn a bit more patience and tolerance. Oh and get some meditation time in structured. I fear I am becoming lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment