Friday, April 23, 2010

you call this keeping a low profile

So a little mishap this morning but this being where I am it seems to sum up things. So foolishly I decided to take Sam (yeah she has a name right the attack dog they are going to let out at nights only has a name) for a morning constitutional. Now the chain is tied to a rope which is tied to the cage so I carefully undo the knots, boyscout has tied them. Open the door and she bolts. Because she aint got no collar and the chain is not tied to her neck. Luckily she decided pretty much to try to eat the dog caged next door. I manage to lasoo her around her hind legs and gently but forcefully pull her back into her cage. I figure get her calmed down then see how she took to an actual collar which we had bought yesterday.

But this is the thing. There was a racket tops two to three minutes but yep dog was barking I can see how it might upset people. I should have waited for Alex but he is a later riser than I. The thing is not so much that they really want an attack dog. They may or may not have a plan. But for now they want to keep her caged. They feed her and hose down the cage daily this isn't england. For India it's luxury for a dog.

But they gossiped for half an hour in groups in Malayalam. That's the way of these places. All that silence just engenders gossip. And good old Fr Abraham the quietest man of all. Well it's put me off quiet men. He pronounces leave the dog alone. He is Fr Abraham senior patriarch.

As I was trying to explain to young Alex this isn't about my defending animal rights. I'd be happy to walk the dog. They might object they might not. But I want to stay under the radar. I don't want to be the object of gossip and I don't want to fall out with anyone over this. For now it's about respect and showing respect.

By the time the story gets to Sr Delphina it will have grown and I can concede to her desires which will probably just be leave the dog alone, which I think is fairly easy to do. Though I will probably be cited as the root cause of all the dog problems from here on in. Even when I am no longer here.

For some reason Alex seems to think if we talked to the peeps and explained that somehow. He really doesn't understand India at all. They treat the dog well for India. But they don't treat children that well compared to UK. Technically they abuse them but only if UK law applied here. We probably abuse lions and elephants but there you go.

Pity I was looking forward to walks with Sam. I am pretty sure if she got regular exercise she would be but it's never about the thing we are talking about. They need to know that I understand respect. I understand respect. If it came to a choice between Sam and losing another letter from my princess, sorry but you are a dog, I don't want to lose another letter it might be important.

No comments:

Post a Comment