Monday, August 24, 2009

Beats Work

So we had four lectures five minute breaks between each ten minutes for tea half way. It's like a guided retreat. I can cope with it. Much more meditative after the last few weeks. It's a lot different studying with Injians. I'll need time to change gear. At the end several suggested you'd probably need a lot of theology to follow the lecture. Perhaps I shouldn't have dismissed the comments so abruptly but what was there to follow. Lovely stuff, a bit too idealistic perhaps, too sermon on the mount. But as the lecturer put it. This is basic theology what we should return to before attempting formation spirituality.
All he was saying was that true religion was God using the metaphor of Word incarnating to forge a relationship with Humanity. Word and Flesh. Baptism incorporates us into that WordyFlesh. Synthetically God is WordFlesh, analytically God and Humanity but what we do to one now Worship for example we automatically must do to t'other. Christologically incarnation and resurrection are the metaphor for this relationship. Ecclesially it is the Eucharist, Word made Bread. Personally it is consecration and worship namaskar the doing of not mine. Yeah I guess maybe I take my theology for granted. But it seemed straightforward enough. What he objected too was even the word formation, the recruitment of objects to fill posts. So if we wanted to train a bus conductor we'd tell him the money you get each day for tickets isn't yours you have to hand it in, modern training in poverty, the wimin you get to see each day are not to be molested, modern training in chastity, and follow company guidelines on health and safety, obedience. He has a point. What we are supposed to do via baptism is become unforgettable memory for God, as the love poets put it, unforgettable memory for the other, so that by disappearing in total surrender because this is the right of the other not our gift. Once we accept the total love of God, it's all very John of the Cross, Mine are the heavens mine the earth saints are mine sinners mine. I guess I do have a good grounding in theology. The style though was several hours of lecture. They describe him as Socratic because every now and then he repeats the last sentence and asks peeps to fill in the missing word. I purchased Counsels of Light and Love by Juan de la Cruz intro by Tommy Merton because it cost 105 rupees. And I ordered Gitanjali for tomorrow because max it will be 400 rupees. I should feel bad about my designer Lunghi (not the Cherie type) but I am not ready for total surrender just yet. I am still hoping to dream dreams of beatitude with the widow. First things first. I am pretty sure I am better off with God even if it may not seem that way to those in the world. I am not turning all holy again, I am just saying that when they talk of love, well there might be something in it, and I am with Pascal on this one, if you are gonna make an incredibly stupid bet with all your life savings because of the rush, then you are probably better off putting it all on God rather than Mitzi the ex-stripper turned sex guidance counsellor who says that you have sad beautiful eyes. How does that make me all holy, hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment