Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mandaic incantation bowls

So there is a Mr Cheng Cunjie staying trying to learn how to translate Syriac and some clue on an inscription he has brought with him. It's related to the Stele of Xian Fou which was the capital of the Tang Empire.

So only thing it was a bit interesting though I have other things on my mind. He has been chatting to me whenever he sees me and I have been helping with the odd word a reluctant syriac assistant. So what got me today was he brings a photocopy of something closer to the original inscription. First sight it's the whole which way up is this supposed to be. I suggested perhaps it was a mirror image, now various ways that could have happened. But yeah that helps then it looks a bit more like Estrangela. He is saying 5th century CE China.

But some of the letters aren't Estrangela, they look like Arabic, not really my area of expertise but then neither is Syriac. Anyway Fr Thomas we nab over tea and he suggests Brock as you do and also it looks a bit like Mandaic. Now the design over the inscription looks like a lotus leaf with a base. Then looking at Mandaic scripts they fled from Iraq eastwards being manichaean heretics they have a small community in Oz. But this is the interesting thing. They made incantation bowls for the trapping of demons. He wanted to have the inscription read upside down. That would make sense if it were a bowl which it looks like and they laid the bowl upside down to trap the demon inside.

This stuff used to really interest me. Stil has it's charms I suggested he press on. Loads of others here he can hassle and why not. Now back to my Philoxenus of Mabbog for this afternoon. Then I am free to daydream.

No comments:

Post a Comment