Saturday, January 16, 2010

The eclipse

Not fancying the eclipse so much. It's a prophecy of the end times, not for Xtians for, Ragnarok the twilight of the idols, though I did see that twilight film maybe not as good as Lat Da Ratte Komma in but the sfx were brilliant, and a vampyre chick flick, all you had to do was to take all the sex out of it and leave the foreplay who knew.

So attended my first Kerala festival? not entirely certain what is was. Some kind of feudal throwback. We went to Fr Jacob's parish he said and then it turned out to be the Church his family had built for the parish, starts at his manor house which is set in a rich area anyways we had some snacks only realised they were snacks when the Russian American Serge (not mentioned him before PhD Byzantine studies former MBA accountant Russian Citizen with Green card Orthodox) well he says there'll be the main food after the procession.

It was very loud. Not just colours. Very Catholic Kitsch. A flashing cross mounted on a tuk tuk with Xmas lights. We carry candles. The Church is even more lighted up. Crosses flashing all colours. Loads of flash bangs. Fireworks. I think someone threw a match on the store of fireworks towards the end so that was impressive. Then the play in Malayalam about Paul I don't think so. Fr Jacob's brother said he understood speaker systems they could have one that worked and made it audible to everyone in the auditorium but then people feel cheated so it's designed to damage your ear drums and to be heard everywhere in the village. So speakers everywhere. It's loud. Something to do with Our Lady of Crops was the translation. And at the end of the procession a blessing from the blessed sacrament you creep before the sacrament then they tap you on the head with it. Perhaps I should have gone up by there is semi-purdah by the time I worked out what was going on the wimin were all creeping forward and they take their purdah seriously here. Plus no poor people.

Probaby best for me not to learn too much Malayalam bit like eating of the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and ewil.

Having a row mainly in my fevered imagination with my cousins. It's a bit like being tied up and gagged and someone slowly pressing a knife into your kidney and then slowly withdrawing it and wiping it on your kurti, now is really not the time to complain. The time to complain is as my old friend Colonel SS Von Landers put it with his perfect idiomatic English, when the shoe is on the other foot.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Desie, Just thought I'd pop by and say hello. I'm in NYC at present at a shrinks conference. Flying home this evening. Sorry to hear the black bile is rising. I shall check your mars saturn conjunctions on my return and post any thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately for now the main reason, and it is quite a motivating one, for doing the Form is so that should I ever come across my cousins jointly or severally I should be able to beat them senseless. I haven't visualized it in too much detail that would be well is it unspiritual morbid wallowing or something but in general I thought knock them senseless body flowing as one, and then go for soft tissue, eyes, eardrums and jaw but mustn't kill them. I don't think the Vipassana is doing its job. I'll try another one hour session. I seem to be drawn to the sessions but it's definitely not working. If you have to say of the results of meditation, just as with reviewing a new dish, is it supposed to taste like this then it probably isn't.

    ReplyDelete