Sunday, September 20, 2009

Adorno

I think I have read about Theodore Adorno, not sure why I think I have. But it's a bit like that book talking about books I have not read, in what sense can I remember a whole book. I have a limited 1.5 second memory store, and if I really rehearsed some bits may stick. I recall something about Odysseus being a capitalist, nothing too impressive he does lie a lot more a decent double glazing salesman, and I recall that aphorism each time I go to a cinema I leave stupider and worse, it's the american language. The comparative adjectives are grammatically correct, and the lack of elegance and sophistication, perfect, to describe a cinema visit. Pretentious mais non je proteste. It reminds me of Top Gun just after Tom gets a ragging from the tall supermodel expert on tactical engagements (well you had to see the film it made perfect sense at the time) and the Iceman (a classic aryan blonde quarterpounder lingerie model himself) says whatever the text books say that was the most ballsey move I have ever seen Maverick. That's how I regard Adorno's attack on modern cineman.

But apparently Adorno is a major intellectual. What happened if you'll excuse the narcissism is sometime while I was on the flight to Bangalore, the Library invented an Adorno Industry. So they have little touches like he used to call himself Archibald the King of the Hippos, I bet. And then there is this attack on camping which is just for you Ollie. The bourgeois seek out camping holidays so that they can return to nature escaping from work. Not real nature but the idea of nature, of not being tied down. In fact if you couldn't show off your sun tan to fellow office workers on your return from holiday there would be no point in taking a holiday. Free time has meaning only through work. But that's not the point. The camping industry then takes over and starts selling those special lamps and camping fire things hey whatever stuff you take on camping holidays how am I supposed to know do I look like one of the corrupt Labour Home Secretaries who thrills to camping. Thus the industry tames the desire for freedom. Which is why he argued you could never go to the cinema regardless of the moral vigilance outwith completing selling out to bourgeois etc. Now this Adorno Teddy Adorno, the tentative dogmatist, the Trascendental Homelessperson, hey that's me. And his critique on camping has a lot of relevance for Irom Chanu Sharmila's hope for an eco-friendly tribal redevelopment economy but only if I could explain it to her and if I look in her eyes my brain turns to mush which doesn't help.

This one (Adorno) was invented while I was on the flight down from Heathrow. I am pretty sure he never existed before. I recall reading some secondary text mentioning Adorno but it's not a particularly memorable name too easily confused with Adolpho, Archiebald King of the Hippos now is memorable but only in a film with the guy who did Chocolate Factory not that guy the other guy did the murdering barber and I think he is the mad hatter in the new Alice not that I would actually go to a cinema. And he is not saying that; you are being far too literal. This guy he sounds interesting. Apparently he had blazing rows with people over minor academic points being unable to forgive an old friend over oh I dunno but I like that in the man, shows commitment. And he could see that Heidegger was fascist to the very core of the sweat of his syntax or something like that. You have to admire someone who finally says something. Even if he does have that idea of constellation. In many ways a simple attack on Husserl's dialectic. Consciousness reveals only untruth by it. History or more the Purana with its ages either a golden past or a golden future. Nonsense, internally driven drivel. It's so clear. So reason pushes out the boat into the lake of madness and if we are lucky they'll be one hell of a storm and let's not project too far ahead else where is the fun. Hmm.

But he definitely has been made up by that whole cartoon guide for the perplexed let's simplify complicated continentals to make ordinary people with more time on their hands and no need to work think they understand their ideas and as soon as I go for any of even the shorter easier texts I will discover I haven't a clue what the man is talking about. Luckily my main task for today is to catch the 7.45 to Kottayam. Like any Bus the 7.45 will most likely leave around 8.05 but how hard can it be. Crashing through the prison walls Irom Chanu Sharmila I am Desmond M Coutinho I am here to wescue you.

I think we shall both benefit from the silent contemplation of the next few days, and I at least shall obtain many books on Syriac, and an Iron Cross, plus some kerala chips for the boys but nothing else I must stay focussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment