Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I think I have things in perspective a Plan

Last time I announced a Plan mind my mother's son, her first born, reacted a little too much and too negatively.

So first Kottayam is like Richmond Hill if Richmond were in Zanzibar. SEERI, is a monastery. The Director showed me his prized possession by a recent graduate, a Scribe. Ok no illuminations but a handwritten text of something in Syriac which they now photocopy and publish. Name of the Rose for the 21st century. Syriac chanted Divine Office at 6, midday and 7 pm. Daily Qurbono. Students are independent. If you just want to pass the MA they let you trundle along. If you are serious there are plenty of untranslated manuscripts around in a few years I should expect you to start publishing one book a year. Then I could say I am a visiting Syriac Scholar and you are meant to be eccentric and strange.

Plus I really need another obsession like Syriac to stop me obsessing about Irom Sharmila Chanu. I am going to try sending her Gitanjali (it's pronounced like Patanjali like Angelina Jolie anyway) and the Little Prince.

Ok if anyone could help here.
It would be really Brill if she turns out to be a proper Mystic poet like Tagore but I don't know most of her stuff is in Manipuri awaiting translation. She is described as an Illiterate Tribal. For the past 9 years in solitary confinement on hunger strike she has done Yoga Asanas several hours a day. Concentrate on the upside down positions. It's probably kept her alive. I doubt even a GP/Surgeon has any idea how long a person can live on force feeding with a nasal tube alone. Her body has deteriorated quite considerably. Where was I. If the poetry is just standard bad poetry then it's not the end of the world. But it would make sense, that the inner plane spirit of poetry would write through her. One wyrd thing she had said after 7 years in solitary in Imphal and spending a few months in a Prison Hospital Ward in New Delhi, where the police and nurses seem to have fallen in love with her, and she was getting visitors from everywhere including one Nobel Peace Laureate from South Korea. She said she was full and once back home she would write a thousand line poem. So she gets back home and a few months later when she gets the prison visit from the book author she has written a 1100 line poem and now is empty again and doesn't write.

So this is one of her poems let me know if it's any good.

Beyond This Tangled Visible World
Beyond this tangled visible world
I flew to heaven in an airplane
Reaching That Land
Where my Maker was to test me
Enchanted, but also fearful,
Taking the shape of a cloud
I find myself eye to eye with the gods.

What an awesome form it is
The vibration of the void,
How joyful, how electrifying
I marvel in awe as I remember,
Beyond the illusions of this world

In that land of harmonious life,
There is no space for the body
What are eyes and ears?
What after all are hands and feet?

Hearing there is no essential difference
Between divine form and human,
I knew not how different they are
How are we to compare -
This world and that
Place with no birth, no death,
How express this wonder?

I express what I know
The sightless shall see
Those without hearing will hear
Of cosmic creation, human emotion and
Supreme knowledge of That Essence
Space is filled with vibrations

Those people are without delusions
No high and low, all are equal there
They feel no jealousy like worldly folks
There is no despair or dissatisfaction
I can hardly explain -
They have no profit or loss there

Freely they move in their duties,
Enveloped by soft, strong light
Nothing is impossible or unreachable
In that place where truth is lucid and pure
No excuse exists for untruth
Human wrongs are punished
Not excused or ignored
Translated from Manipuri into Hindi by ISC translated from Hindi into English by Deepta Priay Mehrota

Given that it's two degrees of separation away I still think she is the real mccoy. I have to go and get a copy of Gitanjali and the Little Prince. On 2 November it will be nine years since she began the indefinite fast. And I know I am obsesssing I can feel it. I got really depressed before I left for Kottayam until I sent off another email to the Indian President about her. But I have five years of Syriac to counterbalance this obsession. And she is a sleeper they won't allow to awaken, what else should a old man do but obsess and dream dreams. Although two things struck me with absurd clarity. She will not die on hunger strike. And a Syriac Scholar fully at her disposal is far more useful to her than the full support of the President of the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment