Tuesday, September 29, 2009

something political

I haven't really given much local news since I got carried away with Sharmila Chanu. About four months ago an ordinary labourer who was recently married and was looking after his younger sister as part of a small family he came home one evening nobody there. It's called the Shopian case her. His wife and 17yr old sister had been gang raped and murdered their bodies dumped in a river. I am certain the Security Forces have never relied on the AF(SP)A in this case. There have been two investigations. In the first one the DNA reports were forged, then the case was transferred to another police force. I think this is the third attempt at an investigation. It is widely believed that the local security forces were out on another jolly and they consider this as a perk of their otherwise hard work of keeping down insurgents. This is in J&K which is another nightmare land. It would have been one of the most beautiful places in India to visit I assume it's one of the restricted areas where foreigners aren't allowed anyway. And even if I get OCI I have no interest in visiting J&K. T

hey are making a lot of the fact that this time they haven't faked the DNA tests. The women were gang raped and murdered. I assume since the security forces were convinced that there never would be an investigation, and they left their DNA behind, and they know which officers were there at the time, no but now I am being a silly western superficial problem solver who doesn't appreciate the multi-levelled paratagmatic layers of postmodern neo-colonial, yeah.

Well it's not as if any police officer would get done for something that serious in England. I am not suggesting that they would, but they would have destroyed the evidence and not just dumped the bodies in the nearest stream. That's my point I think. That and they really don't get up to such bad behaviour as regularly as the Indian police, paramilitaries and security forces and their friends who get invited on outings. There is a difference. I almost feel tempted to burst into God save the Queen and Rule Britannia, or perhaps Jerusalem. But they are touchy about that sort of thing in the Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment