Friday, September 18, 2009

I could be perimenopausal

It used to irritate my uncle when people continually blamed colonialism as the get out of jail free card. I am pretty sure an Indian was offering me a lecture on history, I think I passed with bad grace on how the British East India Company. But just for this blog, a potted History of England. In 1066 the French invaded, but they aren't the problem, before them continual Viking invasions and pillage rapine, but I they aren't the cause, before them, Saxons and Angles, and before them the Roman Empire with its brutal but they aren't the real cause. The first invasion was by a bunch of Indians who poured over thousands of years ago, and overran the peace loving indigenous population of Britain, those wonderworkers who had built the early civilizations of stone henge.

Anyway so I asked my favourite liberation priest over brekkie whether he had heard of Irom Chanu Sharmila, didn't ring a bell. How about the North Eastern States. Then he starts with the lecture about Britishers and their problem solving ways, they come here and try and fix particular problems which apparently were all caused by colonialism anyway did I know the History of the British East India, so I kept interrupting, because he needed not to be heard out, but it didn't stop him offering the holistic response of Indian spirituality to quote Ghandhi, What do I think of Holistic Indian Spirituality, that would be a very good idea.

I am not suggesting that I want to marry the woman right now. I am a romantic I have to have fallen twooly madly deeply, not just goggle eyed admiration for another of India's Saints how glorious O Lord in your eyes is the death of your holy ones. But if anyone felt the urge to write a letter of protest to His Excellency Manmohan Singh I am pretty sure you'd get a lecture on imperialism colonialism and your awful problem solving misunderstanding.

So what is the special about the rape murder and genocide is it like the special rape murder and genocide that goes on in every other country that practices it against its own people.

The fuss in Manipur if I may offer my simplistic Britisher problem solving eye, is here and now outwith blaming the British, or global warming. In 1958 India passed a law to allow any squaddie to shoot to kill on suspicion. It's a bit like the sus laws that we had in London allowing police officers to search people on suspicion of loitering with intent. The main difference is all the police were allowed to do was to search black people, a bit humiliating perhaps if you are courting with one of your bitches (i believe that is an affectionate term for a gentleman's beloved mi'lud) but that's all they were allowed to do, and outraged by the violation of civil liberties and mainly because it really didn't drop crime levels just pissed off black men who were courting the law was repealed. So it's sort of the same thing in the North East except pig ignorant brave as two short planks low paid squaddies with no local entertainment can rape murder the people they were supposed to protect and given that whatever they do is legal if they had a suspicion no one has ever been punished for their crimes against humanity. These shit heads don't give me citizenship I am going to wait for one of the ministers when they visit France and serve them with an arrest warrant for War Crimes and Crimes against Humanity.

So Irom Chanu Sharmilah, which is quite a mantra, quite a japa, she was a young woman then only about 2 million in Manipur, she was heading off to another protest rally what good does it do, when she had to pass by ten of her own people shot by jawans, squaddies. It's a lawless place every body goes there to train in basic terrorism guerilla warfare, nice protective hill country, air force hates that sort of terrain, give them a nice desert where they can carpet bomb any day of the week, and she does the Ghandiji thing and goes on a hunger strike until the law is repealed allowing their own soldiers to shoot rape murder commit genocide on suspicion. Oh yeah a bomb went off killed some soldiers so they turned up in a village and started shooting because it was suspicious I guess.

She is arrested every year for attempted suicide for which the maximum punishment is one year in jail. So each year she is re-arrested. How come they never tried that with Ghandi-ji Oh I know because the evil British were in charge.

So maybe I am perimenopausal though I suspect I have been so since I was 16 but just because I have suspicions doesn't give me the right to commit genocide against anyone. If I could just get a local indian theologian to understand this simple point. Oh but there I go, just a problem solving Britisher, if only I had studied in India and developed the capacity either for smarmy supine sheep like regurgitation of authority's views or the grace to become a type of saint that can be found only in the East. Martin Luther King Jr was ok for a black guy and Francis of Assisi neat trick with that wolf, but if you want to understand the suffering servant of Isaiah, Isaiah the Asiatic then you need to come to Asia and if the Eurovision Song contest is anything to go by, Israel is not part of Asia.

The saints here are the most beautiful. I'd much rather be a saint than a martyr. Perhaps I should take things more slowly. Sod marriage I think I am cut out to be a brahmacharya though that raised a laugh with the joker priest hmmph. Ah well off to Psycho-biology of the Body lecture an additional for Saturday. Fr Binny the leader whom I had accused of not informing me of lecture times and places was quite insistent that I attend. Of course I'll attend i can't worry about Irom all day and even if I can I can do two things at once now I have found my japa.

It's probably just the anthropology of the hero and my latent nazism one thing I really don't understand about my brother, he gets excited about a second hand BMW series seven but so what it's a thing, Irom Chanu Sharmilah she is like a fairy, a wounded angel, she is the princess in the hidden castle, we burst in I say I am Desmond Mary Coutinho I am here to rescue you and she replies with those immortal words. But my bro he don't get it. I shall be so taken aback when we enter the kindom of heaven if it turns out he was right in the end.

Of course I am going to set up an Irom Chanu Sharmilah scholarship just as soon as I have access to any of my mother's money. And thank you but I am not interested in a second hand BMW or a personal equity plan or swamp land in Arizona. I want an Irom Chanu Sharmilah scholarship and some young bright ingenue from England with a problem solving brain stupid enough to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment