Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Dress sizes and the Face Symbol as pure Symbol

Take two Bambina nuns here. One has an athletic build and she wears her Sari like a cat suit. The colour of wet sand. The other is I guess a size ten. She looks compact. The sari is more like a flak jacket for a Secret Service Agent. They are both attractive that's not the point. The point is in England the compact one would be a size 8. These are exam marks, they are part of a Z test to provide a rank order so that scales can be compared. A pure mark has no meaning outwith context. A sari is not like a driving test. It's more like a BA degree mark.

How can anyone here appreciate Levinas. They all have to hand in assessments and do exams. On that I think I should complain to Fr Binny. After meeting another priest this morning saying oh you missed a great mass. Whom should I blame I asked. After much tooing and froing he coughed up the name of the leader. The beauty of experiencing karma sanyasi in not really caring whether I am invited to the Spirituality masses or get a time table or am informed of lectures and changes in schedule is that I can complain to Fr Binny in a really relaxed yet dimly threatening manner. It is the rumble of Il y a in the night. That has something to do with the presence of existence felt as dark murmuring nope lost it, I had the concept almost in my sights, it was definitely a shadow of a trace but when I set orf in pursuit, well there you have it. It's why these peeps cannot understand Levinas. I am really very clever. Here there are a few people whom I know are more clever than I am. Some who can't really understand English well enough for academic study and the rest who just want to turn up get the qualifications and sell double glazing. Oh and I am I hope orf to Kottayam next week for a three day jaunt. 16 hours on a twain. Hmm. If I don't get the tickets Karma Sanyasi rides again.

So on the face, pure signifiance, it's not so much that it's not an actual face with features. It's that even a face with features is a signifier for communication, for language. Hence le visage is a signifier in a sense but not really for Language. Le visage => La langue. And by le visage se devisage. Something like language deconstructs itself. Except I am certain I don't know what deconstruct means. It's closer to in the concept of dress, there is hidden the concept of undress.

She may be a nun but she is completely naked under that sari.

I am going to read some more. I am not sure if I am happy or settled. I am finding the time to read and reflect though last night's dinner (far too vegetarian even with the chicken curry) was not completely digested, there was a storm, no electricity for the fan, and I couldn't stop thinking about Levinas. Though the good thing is we can't so much be having a drought as late rains. Though it doesn't structurally change anything for poor farmers. They still seem to commit suicide regularly enough for it not to be reported unless the daily figure is a high cluster.

And that's the real pull of Levinas, not the details, but the infinite, pressed down and overflowing paradigm shift. He extols the moral sense that never loses the apprehension that she has not done enough that more is expected of her. A way of living in fear and trembling, a trembling so violent it brings stillness. All these bricks to build the house of the ethical.

No comments:

Post a Comment