Sunday, September 27, 2009

She sleeps and dreams and life must go on

She is inspiring. I am not completely insane. And she is beautiful and repulsive something of the Divine about her then for sure. One of the human rights bods contacted me when I sent one of the email petitions to the Indian President and various officials on Sharmila Chanu's behalf. He said they had tried suggesting the whole Bobbie Sands be a national heroine route but she is very stubborn and trusts in Yoga and Spirituality. What can you do eh. I am certain she is the real McCoy. And if she isn't then neither is McCoy and she still has my unreserved confiance.

He also said it isn't a good idea to send parcels to the Government Prison Hospital address. I think the policy against her is more one of pettiness. They didn't allow Thomas Moore his Bible or Breviary. I am not even sure if it is to break the spirit. I have asked him for an alternate address and you never know. All it takes is for one guard or nurse to break through to the humanity and they may even allow flowers in her room.

So onwards and upwards. I got a deal on 12gm chocolates by Cadbury's from the local Spa shop. I never know how to react over cost here. So when the sales assistant said but sir each one is 40 rupees I just stared blankly. I don't want to patronize them or sound as if I am loaded. To her credit if they were that expensive I'd have forked out 80 quid on chocolates for 150 Tribals and I could probably have bought at least half a dozen tribals for that price. Thankfully she was wrong. They were about 13 rupees each (forty units per box 4 boxes) which still adds up but I fully intend to be favourite Uncle-ji. My fear is that they will not want me there. I have this thing about rejection. I now have 150 blue pens (2 rupees each really got a deal with those). 160 Cadbury's chocs and what sold them to me was as I was glancing through the types some fat brahmin kid (nice enough) starts screaming to his parents mummie mummie I want those. Milk chocolate base with white chocolate tops I think they are called something else in Blightey and are for adults not for kiddies. Although I haven't figured out what I should do instead of giving them many clips around the earhole when they start their incessant pisa please pisa please. But for one week anyone can practise Ahimsa.

I also have 13 books all on sale but for a decent book it's anything from 30-50 rupees. But it's a symbol of education. The barbie doll plan may have to be mothballed. Sunday week I travel to the Prema Seva Ashram and I'll see how much it has changed. We will have lost a few of the kids. But he has pushed them up to full strength 150 he told me at last count. But he is an awful liar.

I hope I am welcomed there. I think I stayed too long last time. A week to ten days will be a treat for us all. Plus I'll get the Paul Father a bottle of single malt. If Jameson's is not too expensive that'll keep him sweet for a week. I do not mock but my mother was very right about these things and people who go on about modern professionalism and duty really have far less an understanding of human nature and society than my mother.

On that still managed to get a little irritated with one of the priests I have never really liked here. Father Dixon I think his name is but who cares. He decided it would be a good idea for me to take out all the priests for a meal before I go just to celebrate. Then he narrowed it down to just our table of four. So I nod away as any Indian should until one priest said are you serious about this Desmond. Of course not father I should not tempt you away from your lives of holy poverty etc. Then Dixon started going on about how miserly I am. Priests here can be more embarrassing than even the Monsignors back home.

I am pressing ahead with the Syriac. For now I am pushing for fluency in reading. I thought I'd be gentle with the actual memorizing of declensions and conjugations. A bit each day every few hours. The MA should be a push-over. If I don't get OCI or even if I do I think there are places that still speak Syriac. Isolated Christian communities in the middle east. It would be nice to spend a few months with one of those studying in the round before pursuing a Doctorate after the Masters of course. It does not do to plan only if I full expect things to go according to plan and why would I expect that.

Main problem for now is keeping the weight of the books down, and gently easing into the ardhpadma asana. One likes to keep some connections with the ghost sister. Jai Ho. Jai Bhim.

No comments:

Post a Comment