Sunday, September 13, 2009

Levinas

Le persecute est susceptible de repondre du persecuteur, I quote from memory but it doesn't mean well if you are going to dress like that missus, nor is it quietist, that's the thing with Levinas. I was muchly reassured by Oliver when trying to grapple with the Tractatus and not really sure if I would every understand it, that no one understands the Tractatus apart from Wittgenstein and some think he was bluffing. That's the beauty of continental philosophy, I was led to believe that there is a sharp divide between Anglo-American Analytical Philosophy and the Continent, fog over the channel and all that. Jose contends that with post-modernism and the 21st Century this has all changed. I still suspect it's because he is a Caflick and since our boys think Leuven is still the epicentre of all True Philosophical ideas, the Oxford Halls being mere ersatz imitators. But the main thing not the main thing this particular thing is I haven't got a clue what Leuven Lumas whats his name Levinas which apparently is not pronounced to rhyme with Aquinas I'll find out on Thursday I guess, but no one knows what he is saying which apparently is very different from what he said. That could just mean for the written word you require exegetic charity because it cannot respond to your questions or clarification requests but I bet it doesn't. Thing is it sounds really exciting. Could be a bit of a tease like a wonderbra but then that is the point of the wonderbra.

When we meet the Other we try to murder the Other because it challenges our right to exist outwith limitation. We don't really want to murder it because like John the Baptist it fascinates us also. So we just murder others. Or better torture them and try to get them to curse us in their agony to the living God. Did I mention he was Jewish. So when I read Levinas I don't try to engage with him in a Tango or Rhumba, yielding and thrusting but when I thrust I find the master yields until balance is lost and I have to yield and he thrusts etc. What I try to do is to incorporate his ideas into something I already know.

Yet the possibility of something new, exciting, a surprise, it's sweet is it not. It is in the unknowing, the seduction before consummation, and a consummation that takes us to a new promised land of fresh experiences and wonder.

So yeah got two books out one by the Emeritus Prof giving the two day lecture and I haven't got a clue what they are about but the french sounds beautiful. Oh yeah the quote I wrote before I forgot reminded me that my brother's gout is playing up again. He drinks alcholol eats rich fatty food and I get a pain in my big toe. Because the persecuted has a duty to answer for his persecutor.

Levinas is trying to develop a theory of the Ethical (which is not the same as Ethics) devoid of rationality, casuistry and legalism but built on the idea of existential right. The Other has a right that precedes my own existence. We are bound together in bonds stronger and more insidious than blood. It's a far more demanding ethical code than a personal or universal code system. It puts human rights, the asymetrical right of the Other as a necessary condition for existence. I think it has to do with Aurobindo and Advaita, he is placing the ethical drive as something to do with the Other, something to do with God, but not the God of dogmatic propositions, the mystic one of Neti Neti, Nada nada nada.

I find frustrating at the seminary that these peeps in theory have far more knowledge than I do, most already have some post-graduate studies some are on their second doctorate. On pastoral specifics they are really quite encylcopaedic in their promulgation of church teaching if pushed. But it is rare to find anyone who lusts after ideas. A recent apology summed it up, we just listen to them it goes in one ear out the other once we get back to the missions none of this stuff will matter but we need the qualification first.

I am strange here and stranger because I am seduced by ideas and allow myself to become seduced. Oh now's a good time to mention. John the Just offered to get me a Syriac Grammar. It's again the questing. I have a Primer. A primer contains all the basics of grammar. This one is set in categories, under etymology it has pronouns, and their cases in tables. There follows exceptions and changes in spelling when preceded or followed by words ending in vowels for example. Then they move on to periphrastic verbs which can be built with or without pronouns. Then the four classes of verbs endings attached to roots which are formed from the perfect tense. It's usually taken as a reference book. What I wanted was a Grammar with paradigms and exercises, that gradually introduce common vocabulary and through sentence practise help drive home grammatical points through practice. The point is there is a difference. And I am skilled enough in ancient languages to make the most of the Primer for now. I have a Grammar on order from the Library and I may visit SEERI for simpler text books / exercises.

Now there is a question about why Syriac. This too is a symbol and if it can be explained then it's not a symbol it's a puzzle and why set people puzzles if you could say it in simple words. I think it is a chrysallis where I can dream dreams as Joel prophecied. That and I need to stop throwing around my family pearls. There have been complaints about my asking too many questions. Jose has suggested I not attend psychology and counselling lectures, which means nothing more for the rest of term. I have a Primer of Syriac Grammar and the Levinas lectures to look forward to.

Oh I have shaved and cut the hair short. It is a bit like the expandable waistband leisure suit trysers for the Incredible Hulk yet in my chrysalis I shall increase my tapa and who knows what wonders may come.

Now just off to go through some NT Greek on Chapter 16 of a NT Greek intermediary reader. I like to keep my hand in.

No comments:

Post a Comment