Saturday, September 12, 2009

So what does bring me to India

In my black Kurti the one what cost eleven pounds, the really nice one, all I need is a turban and I could pass for a double of the Catholicos of the Syro Malankara Rite, and if he ever speaks out against the rich and for the poor, or just got unlucy there'd be money in that. It still slightly annoys and I know it is a thread of the ego which is as imprisoning as bands of adamantine, but I finally got to see a Syro Malankara Qurboro (west Syriac says o for a) and some smartypants afters says so you probably couldn't follow what was going on. So it was in Malayalam apart from the Greek, I give the usual but that's the whole point I am carried by God to his breasts where he suckles me, mentioned the anaphora of St James, I could probably have given him a short run on that if he pressed me but now he decides I am an expert on liturgy. I prefer being the one they think who knows nothing and then surprises them because once they decide I am an expert and indulge in deeper level conversation they get the idea I am more of a dilettante and perhaps it would be better if you finished one course any one just. So I shall now try and get two readable books on Levinas, I think he will fit in with Aurobindo. There are guest lectures thursday and friday on Levinas and they are usually stimulating, and compulsory for all students but that's everywhere otherwised they'd all go play volleyball or other ball games. Then I shall head off to Fr Jose for 2.00pm I am resigned to his having a Syriac Grammar. There is no alternative. I shall have to learn Syriac. And not in the still struggling with irregular verbs and the handwave. I mean learn how to read Syriac and then get a beautiful copy of the Peschitta from some book store but nothing too beautiful I want to be able to read it and have it fall apart over the years. Fr Jose did wonder why I was so interested in learning Syriac. On one level I am not, but it's a bit like asking why I want to live in India. I am sure I could give reasons but I think Levinas might throw some light or Aurobindo. I am still going to try and get a visit to Kottayam though.

No comments:

Post a Comment