Saturday, November 21, 2009

Irom Sharmila Chanu

T'was a slow day and then I got my first letter from Irom Sharmila Chanu. At times like this I am grateful for the Vipassana even if it don't work. She is surprisingly normal. Bit taken aback. Thanked me for the books especially liked I Phoolan Devi, a bit of normalcy in the otherwise madness of it all can't remember her words but am holding on to the letter it could become an historical document, actually I think it already is.

Then she asks me all kind of polite and humble, women eh, not just to sympathize but to criticize and could I tell her why the Western Military interventionist model paramilitaries sent to smaller states was at all going to make the world a better place, ok she put it almost in a way that might have been a trap but still with the you cannot be serious leading question style, a challenge is a challenge is it not. But I didn't let it divert me, she asked for a long detailed and logical letter, well two out of three as Meatloaf sang it ain't bad. I managed to slip in that I have a friend who would publish a book on her yoga and if she digressed into her views of anti-development social yoga it would be post-modernist style so but not sure if she'll buy it. I think she is more into shamanry or what her defence team call spirituality.

Anyway gave me a reason to meditate again. Oh I did sort of go for a stab at Cossovo and World War II but I felt it wise to surrender on all other western interventions. Real thing would be to find out her ideas. Truly great humble and wise people always ask questions and are good listeners. Savitri comes to mind, I looked into her eyes and saw the God we are to become. Her English looks good enough, I hope she lives.

Ah well Desie if the only woman I get along with happens to be on indefinite fast in a maximum security ward of a prison hospital well don't get too smug I have only had the one letter from her she might fall out with me after my reply. But no let's not be silly, it would take a few more letters for her to fall out with me and she is more likely to die first. And if she can cope with the Jawans of the Assam Rifles how irritating could I really ever be to her.

I am holding out for a miracle though, that God thing. Now I am aware that he is not supposed to come in like some deus ex machina or K9 who really destroyed Dr Who because yes that would destroy us, but some help here would be appreciated. Not so much that. Because I have the uncanny feeling that God is on her side and so it will all work out. Don't have to let me in on how, but that's the thing with Hope. What does False Hope mean exactly.

So off to meditate, since I missed last post anyway I'll send off all the xmas parcels on Monday. Ten years in solitary and she seems far more normal than any other woman I have known. Don't think I want to unpack that statement. Yep going to meditate then head off to Dharmaram for their play man for all seasons or at least some of it, it's in Malayalam. Hmmm, well when in India. And tomorrow the Alchemist which I hope will be in English (Christ college and they are a bunch of snobs so english it will be). Be nice to go out even with a priest. Been ages since I went out for a play.

Oh I did offer to send her a computer if she was going to write, but you know what these spiritual types are like plus it's probably better just for her not to die on a day to day basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment