Thursday, November 5, 2009

Syriac prep

So we had another class today, I think I can relax as far as one can ever relax in Syriac classes. First line of prep read by Fr Naiju, and he went for let it be for him etc etc And when he had finished I suggested but doesn't ait leh mean he has. Do you want to teach this class was the response. Oh I shouldn't dream of it. Each student is given their own time to struggle through and then I shall make corrections as necessary. I din't quite say Oh Professor Fr Doctor James you are so sexy when you are excited, but I did my humble namaskar act and I think I embarrassed him for his lack of Karuna.

It's just like being back in the middle school only less fwightening. So after much bowing he explained the pedagogy. Fr Varghese has also inquired after me. I think he might be good for a few lessons. But he isn't really rude enough to be a good teacher of ancient languages. Parse boy I asked you to conjugate why have you declined.

I have decided to use the classes as a base, a reality check, bit as one might use the French just to conjure the possibility that I am not as fluent as I imagine, though in the case of the French it's their wilful insolence, in fact only the other day I noticed this obvious franglais misunderstanding, so-and-so is actually professor of philosophy at the University of, actuellement translates to currently, stupid frogs.

Oh yes so I'll just carry on with my own work. Am starting again with Robinsons Grammar. He has mentioned revision classes from next week but we will be down two students so just me and Naiju next week. Teach has said Syriac is not something you can master if you do not work continuously but I don't think they are listening. Naiju seems keen enough. Best to ignore their lessons though concentrate on my own studies and just do enough to tick along, don't want to be accused of wanting to teach the classes now does we.

Oh I have spoken with an oracle sound and twoo on matters like this and I shall purchase the new AppleWhiteBook which will retail when it sells here for around 60k rupees. I'll need 3k for the aftersales support. And at some point I'll have to purchase a printer maybe in the Spring. The world is a lot nicer to you when they think you are not poor. Although I intend to hide away far much more once she is with me. At present my silence is noticeable. I am not trying not to speak but why talk if no one really listens. I could still outtalk anyone at table but I tend not to. That and they say I have lost weight. One of the elderly librarians said she thought I looked like a film star. They have to be really old to say things like that here.

Instead I meditate well sit still in one position quite regularly. One hour at a time, starting at 4.am, once the knees warm up I am sure I could in theory last longer. Once John the Just has come back to me about Sir Joseph's timetable. Apparently he has Sri Lankan connections, if not well I should check out hostelries in Kandy, and the meditation place will take me for a few days now I am an old student. So long as I leave before December 8th, two weeks in Lanka that means the New Apple White Book shall be mine inshallah for Xmas. Meditate and Syriac and Blog. I must find some more books to read and get into.

Oh shoot the Superior General will come back to me about resolving my dispute with that yes hmm watch your language Desie. I figure if he sorts Manjulah out for the rest of her life, and I have written guarantees from a white person with a charity registered address in the UK then I am easy with it, I mean all the Patanjali ayamas truth not stealing etc all very well but it's moer theory here, for practice I fear white people do that sort of thing better but they don't make a spiritual song and dance about it. If not let's have ourselves a full tribunal inquiry, he can't really go with the defence that he never received the cash as they were bank transfers, and he can't argue I wanted him to spend it on entertainment with his seminary companion (don't think they are homosexuals just two male friends who like sharing rooms in five star hotels it's a priest thing). I don't think I am expecting too much of the White Book but I don't believe Paul Father would come up with the have your tribunal see if I care (although the proper vernacular is or used to be when I was in England do I look bovvered) if I had been typing from an Apple White Book. That's definitely how you dismiss poor people and being a poor person has really nothing to do with how much money you have, I may not have that much, I might have quite a bit, it's more that I don't think it's such a big deal buying the New Apple White Book and I would convene a tribunal of inquiry not because I believe that an indigenous Indian Missionary priest has committed fraud and is illicitly spending donor funds on extravagant holidays, this is India so long as some trickles down. Poor is a state of mind, poverty in spirit. Truth is what remains when everything is forgotten. And I regret I believe myself to be a rich bastard when all else is forgotten. I want to convene a tribunal of inquiry for a breach of canon 1300 because I am curious how these things work, come into being, and cease to exist. But if I get reassurances in writing and with continual proof because I don't trust you, then I'll drop the demands. But it won't be as much frangipanzible fun at all.

2 comments:

  1. How about "The Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene? Yes, the protagonist is 'whiskey priest' but I think she might appreciate some of the themes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as with a Zanzibar Election in the old days your choice is elected with a 95% majority. I think I may have turned into the whiskey priest except outwith the whiskey. I still have my breviary, got one in Syriac now too. I vaguely recall he wraps his in some kind of pulp fiction cover and then misplaces or sells it. That's the thing about asking others I should never have thought of GG. If they have a copy in Hindi I shall take it in preference else English will do it's the thought. She can definitely speak English and given that she doesn't get out much you'd think she could learn to read English in solitary confinement for nine years. Her native tongue is Manipuri though they might prefer the term Meiteilon something like that either way don't think there is much translated for the lingo. So for now it's Power & Glory, Curious Incident of the Dog, Art of War, I thought of sending her something modern and popular on Yoga in the hope that she wrote her own How to survive solitary imprisonment on indefinite fast with yogasana a pictorial guide it's a working title I'm sure you can come up with something better. But if you have any suggestions on the Yoga way that might inspire her. It will be a very shame if she dies. I would offer my remaining years in exchange outwith hesitation but who'd take em.

    ReplyDelete