Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I used to know a thing or two about whisky

So this is the plan. I have four bottles of blended whisky. But fairly good blended whisky. Blue is the new Black with JW and I also have a black a gold and a green. So when I say I understand whisky. I used to collect. The blends are smooth, they bulk up with grain whisky and then take single malts to flavour as you would base oils with scents in aromatherapy. The age they give if they give one is of the youngest whisky including the grain, which is a bit silly really because grain whisky doesn't mature like malt whisky. So if you wanted to show off about age then a vatted whisky would be better. But it's more about legend. Johnny Walker isn't a particularly old brand. It was once a corner shop in the 19th century but an aggressive advertising campaign made it in the 60s with Walker walking for over a century. In terms of taste never really took to blends I was too much of a snob a good taster can recognize about ten to 15 single malts. I think I knew the basic highland types, there's a whole set Glenmorangie, Glenlivet etc perhaps the colour changes but a basic solid highland. The Islay had character but that can be overrated bland sometimes tastes nicer. And the Irish whiskeys were by far the smoothest.

So having presented my credentials one needs a frisson over Xmas, the child could be strangled at birth or be killed by Herodas. So I'll put the presentation four bottle JW case in my hold bag. Then I'll purchase a Red Label as large as they'll let me to take to Goa. Spirits are taxed by volume not by sale price so in effect if you save 5 pounds in duty it's per bottle regardless of price of whisky. Therefore the most economical purchase in terms of percentage saved is in the less expensive brands. Red Label, White Horse, and given the types of really cheap Indian whisky that people will drink here it will still be considered a generous festive offering. Thus unless someone can fault the logic or dares to impwess me with their superior knowledge. That's the plan. Of course if the hold luggage gets nicked there goes the plan. But I'll still have a bottle of Red Label to present to John. And the other whiskies for small intimate gatherings for afficionados who will know how much they are loved when you show them the bottle. Not the most expensive whisky. I had thought it was the 50 yr old Balvenie which used to sell for 1g sterling per bottle 75cl. I don't believe I ever tried that one. I never went over 100squidish for a 75cl. They vary then the cycles of whisky are rhythmic. So they are base 8 or base 12 or base 15. Thus a fifteen year old could be sold as a thirty year old an 8 could also be sold as a 24 yr old along with a 12. But it doesn't make sense to sell a 15 yr old malt also as a 24 yr old. Or an 8 also as a 15 yr old the cycles don't make sense. But in the end they sell what people will buy. It can be disappointing though if you had expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment