Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Promotion

So on my first grand tour of Kandy when I walked around the Lake and saw the sights I was approached well actually any pause or smile from me would result in someone trying to offer me a private tour. Clearly I still have Tourist branded over my head somewhere but the promotion is I say I am from Bangalore which they accept and it also explains why I can't speak either senalese or tamil.

There are soldiers on every street corner and in the middle of streets and this is the thing why it feels safe, it's not so much that the soldiers are relaxed and not threatening, it's one of the comments the Baptist preacher said about Indian soldiers standing at Malls and places, we give them guns but we don't really trust them with bullets. Taking a closer look at some of the guns I am not even sure if these boys are all trusted with guns.

So I got two tickets to the evening cultural dance programme, not sure how I ended up with two but only cost 500 rupees each and that's 200 rupees in real money (indian rupiyah). I may yet ask Mrs Miggins to accompany me to a cultural evening, they are open tickets for the next two weeks. Perhaps I'll wait a day or so, mainly coz I don't want to be laughed at for purchasing whatever it is I purchased it really would be better to go around these places with a local if only to stop my purchasing things I am here to help the local economy I agree it's just I dunno how many tickets to cultural events do I really want. But I checked out the Tooth Temple from outside tomorrow I shall stride manfully directly into it thus avoiding any more cultural event ticket purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment